Pets & Holiday Cleaning

A lot of house cleaning occurs as we approach the holiday season.  (And if we’re honest a lot of cleaning is because of our furry friends.)

PetMD.com reminds us of the dangers to our pets from common cleaning supplies.

Keep pets safe by ensuring pets can’t eat, drink, breathe or come in contact with most common cleaning supplies, which contain harmful chemicals like ammonia, bleach, and chlorine.

The toxins in many products are dangerous – even in small quantities – to pets and children due to their smaller body mass. They can cause severe illness and even death.

Cleaners can be absorbed through pets skin & paws

Many chemicals are absorbed through the skin or paws. If you must use harmful cleaners, keep pets (and children) away until all surfaces are dry. Or use a product like BeLeave which is non-toxic and food safe.

Don’t let a clean house send your furry friend to vet.

Here’s a few tips to reduce the amount of cleaning needed due to pets and to help keep your home from smelling like a kennel.

Regular grooming can reduce smells, loose pet hair and dander. Less dander also means less allergens in the air. Brush your pet outdoors to keep pet hair outside.

Washing pet bedding will also reduce dander and odors. Choose a bed with a removeable cover for easy washing.

Pet toys also benefit from a good washing to remove germs and general stickiness which leaves marks on soft surfaces and which picks up dirt and debris. Most soft toys can be cleaned in the washer on the gentle cycle. Line dry.  Wash hard toys by hand or in the top shelf of the  dishwasher if they are dishwasher safe.

For the pet hair that still is coating your furniture (and your clothes) – lint rollers are your friend. No lint roller – put on a rubber glove and dampen it. Rub across surfaces to collect loose pet hair. Other options are to wrap tape around your hand with the sticky side out for a DIY lint roller. Also try running a squeegee across carpet to easily collect most hair.

Trap kitty litter near the box by putting a welcome mat under the exit from the litter box. Stray granules of litter will come off on the mat and not be tracked throughout the house. kitty on couch BeLeave

If you have more than one cat – be sure to try litter that is formulated for multiple cats to minimize odors.

Regular vacuuming will capture many remaining bits, hair, dander.  The more you can eliminate, the fewer odors will remain.

And of course, spray away with our non-toxic BeLeave cleaner/sanitizer spray. It kills germs and removes odors caused by them and is still safe for use around pets, people, plants, and even food.

Its Fall – Keep Pets Away From Antifreeze

This is the time of year that we start to think about readying our cars for Winter.  Adding fresh anti-freeze is a critical step in protecting your car. It helps keep your from freezing in cold temperatures and keeps it from overheating on hot days.

Unfortunately, antifreeze also tastes sweet to pets. cat drinking antifreezeAccording to PetMD.com antifreeze poisoning is one of the most common forms of poisoning in small animals.

The toxin in antifreeze that makes it so lethal is ethylene glycol. When ingested, it affects the brain, kidneys, and liver. Less than 3 ounces is enough to poison a medium-sized dog.

If your pet has ingested antifreeze they may exhibit drunken behavior with weakness and uncoordinated behavior. They may also have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and rapid heart beat.  Symptoms can even include seizures, tremors, and coma. Death is possible. Contact your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately if you suspect antifreeze poisoning.

Keep your pet safe with a few simple precautions:

  1. Keep antifreeze containers tightly closed and stored away from the reach of pets.
  2. Thoroughly clean up any spills immediately.
  3. Dispose of used antifreeze containers properly.
  4. Check your car radiator regularly for leaks.
  5. Don’t allow your dog or cat to wander unattended by driveways, parking lots, or in garages where there may be antifreeze spills.
  6. Switch to antifreeze that uses the safer ingredient, propylene glycol. Antifreeze in the radiator

 

 

Be careful your cleaning products aren’t harming your pets

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center  (APCC) there are well over 100,000 pet poisonings each year and tens of thousands of poisoning cases each year are due to common household products – including cleaning supplies. Reading the label warnings on your cleaning supplies may surprise you with how toxic they really are!

Animals are curious and may chew on or drink chemicals. With their smaller body size, animals like children, are susceptible to smaller amounts of toxins than adults.

Animals also have more body contact with floors, and other surfaces where residue from cleaners remain. Chemicals can be absorbed through the skin or licked off of surfaces.

Sprayed cleaners and fragrances can be inhaled by your pet while in the air or later picked up from surfaces.

The results of chemical exposure can range from mild discomfort to blindness, gastrointestinal or respiratory distress, to death. Chemical burns are another potential effect of exposure.

Cleaners are not the only common household items that are dangerous for your pet. Not surprisingly, lawn and garden items, insecticides, rodenticides, pool chemicals, and antifreeze are dangerous.

Many other substances can poison pets – even some which are tasty or helpful to humans. Chocolate, avocados, grapes and prescription medicines are just a few examples of items safe for people, but potentially fatal for pets.

We can’t help you with all of these potential pet hazards – but replacing toxin-filled household cleaners with our non-toxic, pet (and people) safe sanitizing cleaners and degreasers can help you keep your home sparkling clean and healthier for your family and your pets.

Act quickly if you suspect your pet has been poisoned. Keep your pet calm and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s 24 hour hotline at (888) 426-4435. If you know what the poison is, bring it or a sample with you to the vet. If your pet vomited – bring a sample of that to the vet also.