Be careful your cleaning products aren’t harming your pets

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center  (APCC) there are well over 100,000 pet poisonings each year and tens of thousands of poisoning cases each year are due to common household products – including cleaning supplies. Reading the label warnings on your cleaning supplies may surprise you with how toxic they really are!

Animals are curious and may chew on or drink chemicals. With their smaller body size, animals like children, are susceptible to smaller amounts of toxins than adults.

Animals also have more body contact with floors, and other surfaces where residue from cleaners remain. Chemicals can be absorbed through the skin or licked off of surfaces.

Sprayed cleaners and fragrances can be inhaled by your pet while in the air or later picked up from surfaces.

The results of chemical exposure can range from mild discomfort to blindness, gastrointestinal or respiratory distress, to death. Chemical burns are another potential effect of exposure.

Cleaners are not the only common household items that are dangerous for your pet. Not surprisingly, lawn and garden items, insecticides, rodenticides, pool chemicals, and antifreeze are dangerous.

Many other substances can poison pets – even some which are tasty or helpful to humans. Chocolate, avocados, grapes and prescription medicines are just a few examples of items safe for people, but potentially fatal for pets.

We can’t help you with all of these potential pet hazards – but replacing toxin-filled household cleaners with our non-toxic, pet (and people) safe sanitizing cleaners and degreasers can help you keep your home sparkling clean and healthier for your family and your pets.

Act quickly if you suspect your pet has been poisoned. Keep your pet calm and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s 24 hour hotline at (888) 426-4435. If you know what the poison is, bring it or a sample with you to the vet. If your pet vomited – bring a sample of that to the vet also.

One thought on “Be careful your cleaning products aren’t harming your pets

  • I love this product – it cleans and kills germs AND its actually food safe. I don’t have to worry about using it in the kitchen or on my dog’s bowl or bedding.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*